Mobile menu

International student health insurance Belgium

For foreign students studying in Belgium
  • Affordable premiums
  • Valid for visa
  • Instant policy delivery
Apply now
0.54 € /day
Swisscare product info
International student health insurance Belgium

Which student health insurance is required for Belgium student visa?


Health insurance is mandatory in order to study in Belgium.


Non EU/EEA nationals (third country nationals)


Third countries students are those who’s nationality is non European Union or non European Economic Area country.

Student who’s nationality is non EU/EEA can be insured in a private insurance.

Highly recommended insurance :  An international student health and assistance plan is necessary and highly recommended by all universities :

1. for obtaining the travel visa to Belgium

2. for covering the medical costs until you are registered by the Belgium national funds

3. for taking in charge all assistance benefits necessary during your studies abroad like :

  • Medical treatments (sickness and acccident) not covered by Belgium national funds
  • Repatriation to your home country
  • Ambulance by air, sea and ground
  • Search and rescue
  • Accidental death and disability benefits
  • Third party liability insurance


EU/EEA Nationals

Students with nationality from EU/EEA countries can request in their home country the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Thanks this card, EU/EEA nationals can benefit of the same cover as the Berlgium health fund.

However, the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any travel protection, search and rescue, repatriation to the home country, emergency dental treatments, assistance… A private insurance is highly recommended in Belgium also for EU/EEA nationals during the entire stay in Belgium.